Friday, June 5, 2009

A lot of stuff



You might plan trips systematically, but I don't. I started a list on the laptop in Excel and kept adding, changing and deleting, but then I mostly ignored the list and just piled things up.



The pile got so big I went to a surplus store and bought a big green zipper bag. Green motorcycle, green bag, right? It can hold my new black tailbag, a knapsack full of clothes, full-face helmet, jacket, gloves, liner, riding pants, rain suit, sneakers, tools, fry pan and much, much more. On the plane on Sunday I'll carry the laptop, camera, iPod, reading materials and odds and ends in another knapsack. I'll wear my boots.



See? Pretty neat, I think.

Of course, there's no way that big green bag full of 40 pounds of gear could fit on a KLR. On the bike, I'll wear a lot of the bulky stuff -- jacket, pants, helmet -- the packed knapsacks will go in the saddlebags and the tailbag will go on the rear rack or passenger seat. The tent and sleeping gear I ordered and had shipped to Maine will fit in the big green bag strapped to the bike.

Well, that's the plan, anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment